I have a new weekend ritual; a new healthy obsession, if you will.
Mason Jar Salads have changed my life! Well, at least the part of my life that occurs at lunch time.
Here’s why I love them:
1. It’s a fully balanced, one dish meal. When I make my jars, I make sure to include a source of protein, complex carbs, healthy fats and lots of fresh veggies. Therefore, it will fill me up and keep me satisfied until dinner.
2. I can cook once, and in less than an hour, all my lunches for the week are done – I don’t have to think about what’s for lunch each day.
3. The possibilities for recipes are literally endless. And now that I know how to assemble a jar, I can confidently invent my own creations and know they will taste amazing.
4. They stay fresh in the jars for a whole week, so even by Friday, my salads taste amazing.
It’s really easy to make your own mason jar salads, but there are some tricks to follow to ensure the best flavour, and to keep your salads fresh. The secret is in the layering.
- You want to start with your dressing on the bottom of the jar. If you put it on at the end, your greens will go limp and soggy.
- After the dressing goes your protein source. This way, your meat or beans will get all nicely marinated by the dressing and taste delicious.
- Next are your grains. Feel free to add some seasoning to spice them up a bit.
- Then your veggies (excluding leafy greens). Layer your veggies hardest on the bottom to softer on the top.
- Next is any “extras” you might want to add (cheese, seeds, nuts).
- Tap your jars on the counter to get everything to settle in. You can also use a fork to push ingredients down in order to have lots of room for greens.
- Finally finish with a generous handful of greens, and don’t be afraid to pack it in.
- Pop the lids on and stick ‘em in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- Shake the jar up prior to eating to disperse the dressing, pour the whole thing into a big bowl and ENJOY!
As I say, the possibilities for flavour combinations are endless. Here is a recipe for one of my favourites – Balsamic Bliss Salad.
You can also mix and match from the chart below to come up with your own creations. I’d love to see what you come up with – share your mason jar salad pics in my Facebook Group!
If you are wanting more hands on practice with Mason Jar Salads, watch my calendar for an upcoming workshop, or better yet – host one of your own! Get your friends together, and you can all get our weekly meal prep done while enjoying some quality time and maybe a beverage.